Monday, July 25, 2011

Taylor - rest of chapter 1

Hailey nodded and as she stood up to leave, her phone started ringing. Assuming it was Jessie asking when they would be back on set, she answered without looking at the caller ID. “Hey.”
“Hello. Is this Hailey?” The voice on the phone was not her husband. “Who is this?” Hailey demanded. “How did you get this number?”
“I need to speak with Taylor and her phone goes straight to voicemail.” The voice was very confident. Hailey had no idea who it was or how he had gotten her number. “Who is this?” She demanded once again.
“Look. I need to speak with Taylor. Tell her it’s Jake. Please.” The voice was becoming desperate.
Hailey looked at the phone and then at Taylor. Taylor was oblivious to the conversation occurring. She had her eyes closed, her head leaned back, and was in her own world.
“Taylor.”
Taylor looked up and opened her eyes. “What? Has it been five minutes?”
“No. I never left. Some guy called my phone looking for you. He won’t tell me how he got the number, but he is very insistent.”
“Did he give a name?” Taylor was also confused.
“All he said was tell her it’s Jake.”
Taylor smiled. Hailey was confused by her reaction because they had no friends or co-workers named Jake. She handed the phone to Taylor.
“Will you tell everyone I will be there in a minute? I need to take this call and then I promise we can film the last scene with no interruptions.” Taylor’s eyes pleaded with her best friend not to ask questions right now.
Hailey left, very confused, to do as she was asked.
“Jake.”
“Taylor I just got your message. Do you need me to come?”
“No.” Taylor answered immediately. She knew that Jake couldn’t just leave his work and come to her. No matter how much she wanted her oldest friend with her. “I am fine. I just needed to hear you tell me I can make it through.”
Jake ran his hands through is hair. He needed to be there. But it was impossible. “You are going to make it, I promise. I will come home as soon as possible. And I will call you every day.”
Taylor almost broke down at his promise. She knew he would stand by his word, as they had talked everyday while she was on vacation. Jake was the only person Taylor had called during that time. He was the only one she had wanted to talk to. “I know you will. Finish your job. And don’t worry. I know I am strong enough to handle this, I just needed you to tell me again.” She heard a voice yell in the background and knew that Jake needed to get back to work. “I have to go…have to get back to work. Last scene of the episode.” She told him. She didn’t want him to feel guilty for needing to get off the phone.
“Okay. Call me if you need anything. I will keep my phone close and call you back as soon as I can.” Jake emphasized the part about calling him whenever. He knew Taylor. He knew she was once again being the ‘strong one’ and it broke his heart not to be there for her.
Taylor closed the phone. She could do it. She knew she could. With a deep breath she went to the set for the last scene.

1 comment: